How to deal with a breakup
By Sam BeDan and John Pacheco
Hey guys. So, it was just recently Valentine’s Day. For all those who made long lasting relationships: congratulations! For those of you with broken hearts: we’ve all been there. Breakups and rejections are hard. That being said, here are seven ways to go about your life without tears in your eyes and used tissues on your bed stand. (Unless you have a cold. Can’t help you there.)
- Accept the situation. Don’t go running to them and beg them to get back together with you. This isn’t “The Notebook.” You have the understand that whatever their reasoning, they are missing out on YOU, not the other way around.
- Take your time . . . but not too much time. What I mean is this: you hurt right now. Okay. That is completely understandable. They might have been the hottest guy in the school, or the cutest girl on the softball team. So, take some time to get over it. But, do NOT waste away weeks on end crying about this person. Eventually, you have to move on. That doesn’t mean you have to jump back into the dating scene. If you want to take some time to find yourself for a while, or maybe just don’t want to deal with another person in your life, that’s fine too. But, you have to be able to accept the fact that the other person is just not that into you, and move on.
- Take some time out of your day to think about it. If you still aren’t quite over them just yet, but need to get on with your life, we’ve got a trick for you. What you need to do is set some time out of your day each day to cry about this person. You would basically choose a time, preferably at night (but at least an hour before you’re planning to go to bed, so that way you aren’t crying yourself to sleep), to just think about that person. Only give yourself like 15 – 30 minutes, and during that time go ahead and cry away that pain. But, anytime before that, don’t. Tell yourself, “wait ’till my cry time.”
- Spend time with friends and family. Your friends and family are actually the greatest remedies for getting over breakups. They keep you happy, make you feel safe, and give you someone to hang out with when you need it. They will be your rock ’til the end.
- STAY AWAY FROM ROMANCE MOVIES. Why twist the knife that’s already in your heart? Watching romance films after a breakup is like giving a person who just broke his leg a bike. It just hurts. So, for the time being, just stay away from the romance movies.
- Watch your diet. This is more of just a tip. Just because you broke up doesn’t mean go crazy on the snacking. Eating a full tub of ice cream is not healthy. There is no reason to gain 15 lbs. after a breakup. Top it at five.
- Get back out there! There are around seven billion people in this world today. So, why worry about how just one feels about you? Go out, enjoy yourself, have a good time. Live for you, not someone else. Because you are amazing, beautiful, and talented in your own way. #selflove